Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Walking II

You can read the update on the walking for my Sciatic nerve in the previous post, but basically I walked about 1, 670 miles in 2013. I started the year weighing about 190 pounds and ended the year weighing 162 pounds, the recent times weighed on the local drugstore scale.

For most of the walks during the year I didn't see much change in my body, especially the obvious body fat I had from all the weight gain over the decades of tried and failed exercise plans. But then in October when I first weighed myself I realized I had lost the intramuscular fat in my legs and around the body.

It was then I began to notice the loss of the "body" (subcutaneous) fat we carry on the body, and that's what has been slowly decreasing as there isn't much left of the other fat (calories) to burn, and walking 8 miles with a 12-15 pound pack at a ~15 minute per mile pace burns a lot of calories.

I know I should be running instead of walking to burn the calories, but I'm not there yet as my lower back still reminds me of the Sciatic nerve issue and problems with the legs some weeks, eg. shin splints, numbness, balance and feeling tired or sore.

Anyway, the plan is to continue as this pace to lose 2+ lbs a month until I reach about 155 pounds to judge the amount left and either continue to 150 pounds or look to get liposuction, but liposuction is still the end goal as this will remove the fat I always gain so it will never be a problem.

The overall target weight is to 150 pounds to be fit to run 3-5 miles again and hike 6-10 miles with a 30+ pound daypack again. Hopefully the first goal (reaching the weight) will be reached this spring (May) and the other goal (running/hiking) later this summer or fall.

Now that I know the goal is within sight if I keep going, then I know I can get there. All too often I quit thinking I could do it again, but this time, it's my last best chance, and maybe my only chance at 64 years old.

Or so Agent Maxwell Smart said, "Would you believe Chief..."

No comments:

Post a Comment