Monday, February 29, 2016

What I Know

What I know, and have known the last few years since I started walking to town and back, a 6-8 miles roundtrip depending on the route, is that this is my last best hope to get into the shape I want to be the rest of my life. I walk 20-25 days a month no matter the weather, something I’m used to from 13 years of fieldwork. It’s shown as I was around 190 lbs when I started walking and now am 140-142 lbs after walking 4,260 miles. I still have another 5-7 lbs of fat to lose before I can walk to keep in shape than get in shape.
I know this because at 66 I know my body won’t get better if I don’t not just try but try my hardest to get and stay fit. There won’t be another time I can do what I’m doing now. Age simply isn’t on my side, unless I keep going, for the rest of my life. It’s the one truth I know about my body and my life, and the one choice I have when and where I can work hard to make it happen. From here on out, it’s the fight to keep from getting worse. 
That’s not just my life, it’s everyone’s life.

No comments:

Post a Comment