Saturday, June 29, 2013

Walks

One thing I've learned on my walks, now 8+ miles to and from the commercial area just off highway 16 in Gig Harbor. I know where every blackberry bush is along the way and I've often cut the branches which grow into the walkway along the road or the bike/walk lane on the shoulder.

Sadly, however, blackberries are on the on-eat food list of FODMAPS, but there are some black raspberry bushes along the way too which I can eat and love in small quantities. They grow in small patches anyway, so there's not a lot of them along the route.

Anyway, it's one of the joys of the walks, watching the fruit grow and when I can carry a containter to harvest them along the walks to have later in the day. Nothing beats freshly picked ripe fruit with cream or whipped cream.

If you're interested, it's easy to tell the difference from the leaves and vines, but especially if you pick them. Black raspberries are smaller and pick like raspberries, leaving an empy inside the fruit, where blackberries are larger and have a core inside the fruit. And they taste different.

No comments:

Post a Comment